Halep withdraws from Miami Open, out 3 weeks

Products You May Like

Simona Halep withdrew from the Miami Open before her second-round match Thursday because of a leg injury that the former world No. 1 said will keep her out of action for three weeks.

World No. 19 Halep, who reached the semifinals at Indian Wells last week and had a first-round bye in Miami, said she felt a sharp pain in her left leg while practicing for her match with Australian wild card Daria Saville.

“I had been struggling with the thigh since my semi-final in Indian Wells and hoped it would improve, but I went for an MRI last night and unfortunately it showed a tear,” Halep tweeted. “My body needs time to heal and as a result I will be out of competition for three weeks. This means I have had to make the super tough decision to pull out of Miami, Charleston and Fed Cup.”

At Indian Wells, Halep recorded wins over Coco Gauff, Sorana Cirstea and Petra Martic before losing to eventual champion Iga Swiatek in her first WTA 1000 semifinal since her 2020 Rome title run.

Despite the 30-year-old’s injury, Halep said she was encouraged by her start to the year, which included reaching the final 16 at the Australian Open, and hoped to be ready for the clay-court season.

“While it feels like really disappointing news to share, I am keeping the confidence from my great start to the year and am motivated to do everything to be ready for the clay-court season,” Halep tweeted.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Alex de Minaur Verslaat Rafael Nadal en Maakt Tennisgeschiedenis
French team secures semi-final spot in 2024 Senior Plus Worlds
De Madrid Open 2022
Rafael Nadal’s Early Exit from the Barcelona Open: A Lesson in Resilience
France wint brons op de Senior Plus Worlds

Geef een reactie