Former world No. 1 Halep faces 2nd doping charge

Products You May Like

Former world No. 1 Simona Halep has been charged with a second breach of doping rules, the International Tennis Integrity Agency said Friday.

The additional charge relates to irregularities in Halep’s Athlete Biological Passport (ABP), based on an assessment of her profile by an independent ABP Expert Panel.

The former Wimbledon and French Open champion has already been provisionally suspended since October 2022 after testing positive for banned blood-booster roxadustat at the US Open last year.

Halep, 31, has denied knowingly taking the banned substance and said she has evidence which proves low quantities of the anti-anemia drug entered her body because of an authorized supplement that was contaminated.

“We understand that today’s announcement adds complexity to an already high-profile situation … We have remained committed to engaging with Ms. Halep in an empathetic, efficient, and timely manner,” Nicole Sapstead, Senior Director for Anti-Doping at the ITIA, said in a statement.

“It would be inappropriate for us to comment on specifics until the conclusion of the process, but we will continue to engage with the Sport Resolutions independent tribunal and Ms. Halep’s representatives as expeditiously as possible.”

Last month Halep called on tennis’s anti-doping body to allow her to clear her name, questioning the long delay in her doping hearing after being denied the right to be heard by an independent court.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Spanning stijgt voor Alcaraz en Sinner voor Roland Garros
De uitdagingen van Alix Collombon: een terugblik op haar val in de wereldranglijst van padel
Chingotto and Galan win the Argentinian stage in Mar Del Plata
De Toekomst van Rafael Nadal en Novak Djokovic bij Roland Garros
Elena Rybakina spreekt over haar rivaliteit met Iga Swiatek en Aryna Sabalenka